Racing hit by equine ‘flu

Racing will not resume in Britain until next Wednesday at the earliest- and could go on for longer- as the BHA is in intent on containing the current outbreak of equine influenza.

Having initially cancelled all meetings in Britain on Thursday following three positive tests for the virus from the Donald McCain yard late on Wednesday evening, the blanket ban on racing has been extended for at least another six days.

A decision on whether racing can resume next Wednesday will be made by the BHA on Monday.

Brant Dunshea  Photo courtesy of Reuters

BHA chief regulatory officer Brant Dunshea addressed the situation on Thursday afternoon and said:¬†“On balance, after fabulous collaborative feedback from trainers we felt it was important to get a message out to the industry for the purposes of clarity as quickly as possible.

“We haven’t yet received the results from the samples that have been collected from the affected yard or any of the samples we’ve collected today from the potentially exposed horses from yesterday’s fixtures.

“We know we’re not going to be in a position, given the incubation period of the disease, to make a decision about returning to racing until first thing next week at the very earliest.”

Comments

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *