The British Charles Owen Pony Team has won gold at the FEI European Championships for Ponies in Malmö following clear rounds in the show jumping from all of the Team members in the culmination of the competition.
The British Team finished the Championship on a collective score of 138.7 with France in silver position with 154.6 whilst the host nation Sweden took bronze with a score of 160.1.
The overall individual placings for all six of the GB squad members were as follows:
- 4th place: Thomas Tulloch (age 16 from Shropshire) with Janis Tulloch and his own Spirit VI with 43.4*
- 5th place: 7th place: Saffron Cresswell (14, Worcestershire) riding her own Cuffesgrange Little Ric with 46.2*
- 9th place: Phoebe Locke (15, Somerset) riding her own Quay with 49.1*
- 12th place: Harriet Wright (16, Derbyshire) with her own Foxtown Cufflynx with 52.8*
- 18th place: Phoebe Nicholson (16, Herefordshire) riding Hannah McLeish’s Llanstephan Brenin with 57.2
- 23rd place: Jessica Thomas (15, Cheshire) with her own Another Island end the day with 67.2
(* denotes Team member)
Gary Parsonage, the Chairman of the Charles Owen Pony Selectors commended that: “As the Chef d ‘equip I couldn’t have asked for more. The tables really turned for us when a good French score was disqualified during the horse inspection meaning a less strong score had to be taken, but our guys still had to hold their nerve. Thomas was so close to [individual] bronze but he couldn’t have done any more for us yesterday or today.
“They are all very pleased as you can imagine. I would like to give a special mention to Jonquil Hemming (GB Squad Trainer) who despite a broken ankle has been absolutely fantastic for them.”
Many thanks go to Charles Owen who are the title sponsors of the British Pony programme, Pony Trials and National Pony Championships at Brand Hall.
The British Young Rider, Junior and Pony European Championship teams are supported by the UK Sport National Lottery funded World Class Programme. The teams are also kindly supported by official Equestrian Team GBR suppliers; Dodson and Horrell, Equi-Trek, Land Rover, NAF, NuuMed, Point Two Equine, Tagg Equestrian plus clothing from Toggi.
British Eventing is also grateful to the Horse Trials Support Group (HTSG) for their unerring support and fundraising efforts for this team.